Interesting Robot testcase design

Last time I had given one Robot Basic Training at Chengdu, a quite different experience from the past. It might because of the audiences are all framework developers, they designed their testcases in a bit different way.

I found it’s very interesting, so I asked them to send me the testcase and resource file, but unfortunately I forgot what’s the funny things inside, however check the files below.

Robot Test Cases

Setting

Value

Value

value

Value

resource

resource_test.html

Meta: tt HI
Force Tags forced
Default Tags Login
test setup Go To http://localhost:7272
Test teardown Log Test finished
suite setup Open Browser http://localhost:7272 ie
suite teardown Close Browser
Variable

Value

Value

Value

Value

${usename_demo} demo
${correct_password_for_demo} mode
${invalid_password_for_demo} aaaa
Test Case

Action

Argument

Argument

Argument

Argument

Argument

login and logout

Log In ${usename_demo} ${correct_password_for_demo}
log in successfully

log out

log in failed [Tags] login errorcase
Log In ${usename_demo} ${invalid_password_for_demo}
Log In Unsuccessfully

Ok, first, the testcase name is not good, "login and logout" is not clear in describing the feature and expected result of this feature. And "Log In" user keyword doesn’t keep align with its activity, it actually login with username and password. Also, the "Log In Successfully" actually depend on previous "Log In" keyword, since it checks if current frame includes certain strings, which it lead by "Log In", and it will have nothing to do with _log in_ success if there is no "Log In" action ahead.

Robot Test Resources

Setting

Value

Value

value

Value

Library

SeleniumLibrary

Keyword

Action

Argument

Argument

Argument Argument

Log in [Arguments] ${username} ${password}

Input Text

username_field

${username}

Input Text password_field ${password}
Click Button login_button
log out Click Link logout
Current Frame Contains Login Page
log in successfully Current Frame Contains Login succeeded
log in unsuccessfully Current Frame Contains Login failed

And, ok, here at least the "username_field" should better be set as a variable, coz it may change when the implementation changes. Next time it may be "user_name_text_field" or others and so on, then your case may have problem.

Finally, I remembered one thing interesting is, when designing testcases, they designed one testcase which verifies the wrong links, check if there is any unauthorized access attempts via the link address, for the sake of security. I haven’t seen such design yet, and it triggered me as there are always different needs for testcase, so, do not assume your solution is definitely / obviously the best🙂

About Kaveri, Yi XU

Agile Coach & Consutlant
This entry was posted in Agile&Scrum&Testing&TA. Bookmark the permalink.

2 条 Interesting Robot testcase design 的回复

  1. 爱丽丝漫游北京说道:

    Alice wish you will get a great Christmas !

  2. Yi说道:

    Thank you and wish you a nice Christmas too🙂

发表评论

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / 更改 )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / 更改 )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / 更改 )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / 更改 )

Connecting to %s